Banana Bread – Bread Pudding
In my haste throwing together my latest batch of Gut Scraper Bread I forgot the salt, baking soda, baking powder, and all the spices. Doh! Then I undercooked it! Let’s just say it wasn’t my best effort. Haste makes waste…I think not!
When life hands you undercooked, unleavened, bland banana bread – make banana bread pudding. Growing up we would often use up old bread this way.
- 1 loaf banana bread or Gut Scraper bread (approximately 9 x 5 or 8 x 4 inches, or about 6 cups total cubed bread)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar Note: if using sweetened condensed milk omit the sugar or sweeten to taste.)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Coconut oil to grease the pan
- Heat the oven to 350°; grease an 8 inch square baking dish with coconut oil
- Slice the banana bread into 1 inch slices, place the slices on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven, about 8-10 minutes (or until lightly toasted) then cut into cubes. If you’re feelin’ feisty about screwing up your bread in the first place. Permission to tear up said bread into bits granted.
- Whisk the half and half, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- Layer half the cubes,1/2 of the liquid, then the rest of the bread cubes, top with the remaining liquid all in the baking dish.
- Let it soak for about 5 minutes before putting it in the oven.
- Bake for one hour–a knife inserted in the center will look wet, but mostlyclean. ?
- Let it set for 5-10 minutes (if you can). Serve with whipped cream, ice cream, or my fav – just a splash of milk.