Hi, I’m a coffee addict – Part I
Hello, my name is Kristina… and I am a coffee addict. Serious, hook me up to an intravenous, the barista knows it’s me over the drive-thru speaker, addict.
I have been working on our budget, finding little places here and there where we can cut back. Going through my last couple bank statements it was blazingly clear, cut back on the coffee my dear. It seriously made my stomach turn when I added up how much I spent in a month. (Don’t ask, I will not tell you.)
There were several factors contributing to this serious addiction.
1. I need to leave the house.
2. I need for a break.
3. I need to see people.
Amelia is one of those kids who falls asleep easily during car rides, which is a blessing and a curse. When out running errands it is pretty much guaranteed she will conk out. Transfering from the car seat to her bed is no easy task and usually ends with a ticked off tired toddler who won’t go back to sleep. Super fun! What’s a gal to do? Hit up the drive-thru at Caribou coffee while Amelia gets her beauty sleep ala car seat. Even confined in my car, I gladly traded $5 for a latte and newspaper for this tiny break. The question loomed , “Is $$$/month worth one hour of down time while stuck in a jeep all the while nursing an infant. Not so much. Being cooped up in my car like an animal, just to get my daughter a nap, did a real number on my mood and overall outlook. I felt paralyzed.
Now I am proud to say with a couple easy fixes I am now saving $$$, while getting out of the house and getting my daughter down for a nap in her bed (most days.)
Here is what I did:
1. I made a decision I would try scheduling errands and outings before or after Amelia’s “nap-time-window”. (I know other parents are thinking…duh…but, it is REALLY easy just to nap her in the car.)
2. Start making my coffee at home and taking it to go. That way when we are out I won’t be tempted to stop for coffee.
3. If/when Amelia falls asleep in the car, wake her up immediately (so she doesn’t get a mini-nap) and attempt to get her back to sleep at home.
4. I started to use out stroller with this kids more. This small act has saved many trips for coffee because of a napping toddler. And when she conks out in her stroller I just hunker down on Summit Ave with my current library find and nurse Max.
I am now happier and fill much more accomplished each day and Amelia is getting a longer nap! Everyone wins.
I have a couple questions for you, all four of you…or maybe there are five now?
What are your vices when it comes to spending?
What is the most desperate thing you have ever done to get your kid to nap and/or get out of the house for a break?
Comment below with your answers. I would love to hear them.
Stay tuned for Coffee Addict – Part 2 for frugal tips for making your fav iced mochas and lattes.